When people visit a website statistics have proven that they make a decision in 5-8 seconds. Many reports have proven this. Given that very short time, great web design is critical
Two of the main purposes of a website and a web design are to convey the feel and purpose of the site and to focus attention on what is important (e.g. Peoples eyes. In the moments people are on your website if a visitor gets the wrong emotion or feeling they will leave or hit the back button.
When you ar researching your website don’t just like them for likes sake. Look closely at the design and try and determine the elements of design that are appealing to you. It may include
- Imagery and how it is edited.
Once a visitor is convinced then they want to find what they are looking for. This is when the design must and should give focus on the important elements of the site
- Clear logo that
- Clear navigation
- A search bar.
- Clear imagery with call to action buttons
So when working with a web designer ask these questions
- What colours will we use
- What is the mocked out layout (this can be done in a sketching app usually prior to design
- How will the text be designed and what will be the main font.
- How will the main navigation look and how will you keep it uncluttered.
With these web design principles in mind you can make a good start with your project and web tea,